The Christie are the largest cancer centre in Europe treating more than 40,000 patients a year. they serve an immediate population of 3.2 million in the Greater Manchester and Cheshire area. The hospital specialises in cancer treatment, research and education and is the first UK centre to be accredited as a comprehensive cancer centre.
The Christie looked to Wayfinder UK to help them create a full wayfinding strategy for all communications across the Hospital. The Christie wanted a simple and pragmatic approach to reduce stress for patients and visitors in the hospital environment. Emphasising the need for patients to find the necessary locations as efficiently as possible, therefore reducing time wasted by late or missed appointments.
A team of consultants reviewed all communication links throughout a detailed analysis. The first focus was to strip the hospital of all visual noise which was having a negative impact on the way people navigated the building. However it seen as important to allow positioning of artwork and charity promotions at strategic points throughout the hospital. Wayfinder UK designed a wayfinding strategy which could be understood from all 3 entrances to the building. The system also allowed for future expansions to be integrated into the overall plan.
The team worked hard to design, source and implement a full signage contract. Using a recommended source allowed for a reliable implementation with limited impact on the running of the hospital environment. The strategy emphasised the need to maintain consistencies within the signage throughout the hospital, in turn strengthening ‘The Christie’ brand and improving the general aesthetics of the environment.
The success of the main hospital resulted in further projects at The Christie in Oldham and The Christie in Salford. This allowed for an integrated development between the sites, leading to strong consistency and communication links across all locations.
In addition to the project showcased here, Wayfinder have delivered wayfinding projects to lots of other clients in this sector. Here are just a selection of them:
- Airedale Hospital, Yorkshire
- The Christie, Manchester
- The Christie @ Salford Royal Hospital
- The Christie @ Royal Oldham Hospital
- Kensington and Chelsea Hospital
- Springfield University Hospital
- University Hospitals Bristol
- Bristol Royal Infirmary
- St Michael’s Hospital Bristol
- Royal United Hospital Bath (four hospitals on site)
- Royal Blackburn Hospital
- Blackpool Fylde and Wyre Hospital Trust
- Blackpool Victoria Hospital
- Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
- St Bart’s Hospital London
- Harlow Hospital
- The Princess Alexandra Hospital Trust
- Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Gabowen Hospital
- Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital
- The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals Trust
- New cross hospital
- Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge
- Bolton One Health centre
- St Charles Hospital, London
- South West London and St George’s Trust
- Queen Victoria Hospital East Grinstead
- Hull University Teaching Hospitals
- Hull Royal Infirmary
- Castle Hill Hospital Hull
- The Christie Proton Beam Centre (first in the UK)
- Clatterbridge Cancer Hospital Liverpool
- Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle
- Wythenshawe Manchester
- The Princess Alexandra Harlow
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Pinderfields Hospital
- Dewsbury and District Hospital
- Pontefract Hospital
- Wye Valley NHS Trust
- Stratford Hospital
Our Wayfinding Process
This website is designed to offer only general information, therefore the content does not explain the important technical details involved in the wayfinding process.
Such information is restricted to client briefings, in order to protect our intellectual property. As this information is vital to your understanding of our services and the many benefits, we are more than happy to explain in detail, either over the telephone or face to face.
To find out more, please email email@example.com to arrange a free, no obligation telephone conversation with one of our senior consultants.